Center for Health Equity Research and Promotion
Veteran Community Advisory Board - Philadelphia
The independent Philadelphia CHERP Veterans Community Advisory Board (VCAB) was formed in May 2017 to advance Veteran perspectives and engagement in Research.
The CHERP VCAB is an independent engagement activity that seeks to improve the design of patient-relevant research, increase uptake of research into practice, build Veteran support for research, and restore trust in VA. Veterans who participate in the CHERP VCAB give non-consensus advice.
VCAB board members at a recent monthly meeting.
The Philadelphia VCAB is available to:
- Offer independent Veteran perspectives about their care experiences at the VA, their preferences and priorities
- Strategize to make research Veteran-centered
- Compose letters of support for Veteran-focused projects
- Provide non-concensus advice for recruitment and study info materials, and identification of research partners
- Assist with dissemination
This independent Board is designed to represent the vulnerable communities central to CHERP's health equity research mission (e.g. Veterans from ethnic minorities, LGBTQ Veterans, women Veterans, Homeless Veterans, Veterans with stigmatizing social, mental and physical conditions, etc.)
To advise, foster relationships, and contribute experience and input to CHERP Leadership and Researchers in order to promote health, healthcare, and health equity for the Veteran Community.