Center for Health Equity Research and Promotion
Veteran Community Advisory Board - Philadelphia
The CHERP Philadelphia Veterans Community Advisory Board (VCAB) offers independent Veteran perspectives about their care experiences at VA, their preferences and priorities. The Philadelphia VCAB is available to work with CHERP investigators to:
VCAB board members at a recent monthly meeting.
- Strategize to make research Veteran-centered
- Identify research outcomes important to Veterans
- Compose letters of support for Veteran-focused projects
- Provide non-consensus advice for recruitment, study materials and process, and identification of community-based research partners
- Assist with dissemination plans
This independent Board includes members who represent the vulnerable communities central to CHERP's health equity research mission: e.g., Veterans from ethnic minorities, LGBTQ Veterans, women Veterans, Veterans experiencing Homelessness, Veterans over 65, and Veterans with stigmatizing social, mental and physical conditions such as Substance Use Disorders, HIV, etc.
Recent news about CHERP VCAB in Philadelphia
- Hosted 3rd Annual Veterans Research Town Hall at Crescenz VAMC, Justice-Involved Veterans and VA's Veterans Justice Outreach program; featured Veterans, researchers, and staff. Keynote speaker was Veteran and municipal court judge Honorable Patrick Dugan of Philadelphia Veterans Treatment Court discussing social support for Justice-involved Veterans. 27 persons attended in-person with 52 attending on-line from around the nation.
- Wrote and produced a blog on the Justice-Involved Veteran as an accompaniment to the 2022 Veterans Research Town Hall; the first to feature content about Justice-Involved Veterans in the country by Veterans for Veterans.
- VCAB Poster accepted to the HSR&D National Research Meeting scheduled for February 2023 describing techniques and outcomes from 3 years of Veterans Research Town Halls.
- Created and released biannual Veteran-to-Veteran email newsletter "Veterans Shape VA Research", highlighting the Veterans Research Town Hall and SDOH affecting Justice-Involved Veterans (Summer edition)
- Instituted a podcast/webinar series "Sharing Knowledge through Research Collaboration" presenting Veterans in conversation with researchers. First interviewee: Judith Long, MD.
- Invited to attend Congressman Donald Norcross' NJ Constituent Services Fair to promote VCAB and Veteran Engagement in Research. Attended (5) public outreach events in our region to promote Veteran Engagement.
The CHERP Veterans Community Advisory Board (VCAB) was formed in May 2017 to advance Veteran perspectives and engagement in CHERP's research.
The CHERP VCAB is an independent engagement activity for Veterans in the Philadelphia region that seeks to improve the design of patient-relevant research, increase uptake of research into practice, and build Veteran support for VA-funded research. Veterans who participate in the CHERP VCAB provide non-consensus advice.
To advise, foster relationships, and contribute experience and input to CHERP Leadership and Researchers in order to promote health, healthcare, and health equity for the Veteran Community.
View the VCAB Trauma-informed Research Recruitment Toolkit here: https://www.prefresearch.org/veteran-recruitment-enhancement-toolkit.