Center for Health Equity Research and Promotion
Learn about CHERP's Veterans Advisory Board at the Philadelphia site
Find out about VCAB board structure, members, how to contact
Meet VCAB Board member Eugene Marsh
Three core values guide the strategic planning of the Center for Health Equity Research and Promotion: scientific rigor, relevance, and engagement.
The scientific rigor of our research must be recognized as among the best empirical investigation in the field. The most valuable changes in health and health care are typically not the consequence of a single research project, but the product of accumulated knowledge, systematically gathered, on an important topic. Thus, we believe our most valuable and enduring scientific contributions will come from getting our research right consistently over time. This commitment to scientific rigor enhances our standing in the scientific community, helps us attract and retain talented investigators, and demonstrates VA's leadership within the field of health services research. The relevance of our research to the VA Healthcare System must be evident to the audiences capable of using it to advance the quality and equity of Veteran health and health care.
Spotlight on VA-funded Health Equity Research:
Staying Positive: An Intervention to Reduce Osteoarthritis Pain Disparities PI: Leslie Hausmann, PhD
The Center for Health Equity Research and Promotion's research focuses on vulnerable veteran populations, including those who face potential discrimination because of race, ethnicity, or social status, and those at risk for disparities in health or health care due to other physical and/or mental conditions.
Activities Towards Goals
CHERP engages in diverse activities towards achievement of the program goals and our strategic plans.
Click on each goal below to learn more about our activities in support of our strategic goals:
- To advance understanding of the determinants of the quality and equity in health and health care; and design, test, implement and evaluate interventions to improve the quality and equity of health and health care for vulnerable populations.
- To improve the health and health care of Veterans through Health Services Research (HSR) that investigates the usage patterns, efficacy, comparative effectiveness, safety, value, and equity of clinical therapeutics (secondary focus), and through other innnovative HSR beyond our focus areas.
- To increase collaborations and partnerships, and stakeholder engagement to maximize the relevance and impact of our research.
- To expand mentoring, training, and educational programs to increase VA capacity for HSR in high priority areas, implementation science, and partnered research.
- To provide service and leadership to key internal and external stakeholders.
- To augment infrastructure to to conduct high impact HSR, support translation of research into practice, and develop research metholds and products of value to stakeholders
Funded Research Projects and Collaborations
Center for Health Equity Research and Promotion Investigators engage in research that has the potential to impact VHA policies, healthcare practices, and health outcomes for Veterans. Their work addresses questions of significance to VHA clinical and operational partners. CHERP Investigators are involved in other funded initiatives, including research projects and programs supported by the Agency for Healthcare Research & Quality (AHRQ), National Institutes of Health (NIH), and other sponsors with missions aligned with our focus on the quality and equity of health and healthcare for vulnerable populations.
Click here for a list of funded projects that CHERP Investigators are currently leading or involved in as a co-investigator.